Tuesday, March 3, 2009

School Activities Keeping Us Busy



So, school has been keeping the Texas Lutherans family very busy. Here's what's been going on with us:

Last week all the kids participated in a fundraiser for the American Heart Association. RJ and John both did Jump Rope for Heart and Sarah did Hoops for Heart. They were supposed to collect donations for the event, then they participated in heart-healthy activities, like jumping rope and shooting hoops. They all had a great time!

RJ has been asked to participate in a contest for creative writing. He and two other 2nd graders, as well as 3 other 1st graders, will compete in a creative writing contest. He will be given a topic and asked to write a creative story about it (I think!) He has had one practice session, and he'll have one more, before the contest which is on March 28. I am really proud of him for being selected for this. I can tell he is proud of it too, and excited, because the Cub Scouts' Pinewood Derby was also on March 28th, and he had to choose which activity he wanted to participate in, and he chose the creative writing contest! If he does well, he will advance to the regional competition later this spring.

Sarah went to a cheerleading mini-camp all day on Saturday. They learned a cheer and a dance and some partner-stunts. She said she liked the stunts the best. She got a t-shirt from the day and she made lots of new friends. I think she had a great time, although I know she thought the cheerleading was kinda hard and she had a tough time perfecting all her moves. She is just like me, I swear!!! She's never done it before but she wants to be perfect on the first try. Me, to a "T"!

Maura has started going to a "Mothers Day Out" program. It is once a week, for 3 hours. And it's FREE! We've only gone one time, and typically the idea is for me to drop her off and come back 3 hours later. But, just for the first few times, I want to stay with her to make sure she can make the transition easily (and that she's in safe hands). She really enjoyed herself and cried REALLY HARD when it was time to go. I hope she continues to like it.

Also, some wonderful news: I entered a lottery for a scholarship for the kids, and I won a $1000 scholarship for their school for next year. The scholarship money was given away on an entirely random basis, with names drawn from all who entered. The foundation that provides the scholarships (there were 20 in all) exists to support families who make choices for their children that cost extra money for school (like homeschooling costs, private school tuition, and tutoring fees for children at any school). I was so excited! This will really help with the mounting costs of tuition.

Well, that's it for now. I hope you all are doing well and staying healthy!

1 comment:

Miss Lisa said...

What a neat blog :) Your kids are super cute!