Well, summer is cruising right along. Last week the kids participated in VBS at our church. The theme was "GADGET's GARAGE" where GADGET stood for God's Always Doing Great Exciting Things. I think they all had a great time, and I sure enjoyed a little break every day.
We've started doing a little bit of schoolwork every day. The kids are working on handwriting, spelling, math, and I am trying to do a little bit of art and social studies but I don't want to wear them out. And, of course, we do some reading every day. Sarah and RJ are reading some books called Great Illustrated Classics, which are abridged illustrated versions of classic books. So far, Sarah has read The Picture of Dorian Grey and Mutiny On Board the HMS Bounty. RJ has read Swiss Family Robinson (which he said had a "tender ending") and The Time Machine. He's currently working on Journey to the Center of the Earth. Earlier this year I read Oliver Twist aloud to them every night and they really enjoyed it.
We are also working a bit on Luther's Small Catechism. The kids are memorizing the Ten Commandments, and RJ and Sarah are also memorizing the meanings. So far, we're up to the 4th commandment.
This past week, RJ started a day camp through Arlington Parks & Rec Department. It was dodgeball and kickball camp and... it wasn't so great. The first day, RJ got hit in the head a few times with a ball and everyone kept calling him "J.R." So, he decided that camp wasn't a good fit for him, and he's going to try karate camp next week with John. I hope that one goes well. Sarah is going to do dance camp a little later in August.
One last thing I wanted to share with you all is that Maura is talking up a storm. She loves to yell "MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!" Just about the time I thought I would go insane, she has switched over to yelling "AR-DAY! AR-DAY! AR-DAY!" (which means "RJ! RJ! RJ!") She has yet to say "John" or "Sarah" but RJ is quite accomodating and loves to play with her. Maura of course also says things like Daddy, wa-wa (water), more, hi, by-by, night-night, and even Amen (which sounds like "ah-meen").
Hope you all are staying cool! Texas is pretty hot, but we're having a little break in the weather this week. Only in the 90's!
1 comment:
That is so good to hear how you guys are doing! I miss John so much! He was the life of the class. I'm glad summer is going great for you guys. That is good to hear. It made me smile when you mentioned the catechism studies - I remember doing those with Megan and Anna at their age. Megan still remembers hers - so it does work! I hope you guys stop by sometime and visit! We would love you to check in.
Sherry
Post a Comment