Our family isn't doing too great today.
Ryan has had joint pain since last week in Denver. We thought it was altitude sickness, but it persisted after he returned home. He took a 1/2 sick day from work and went to the doctor. The doc diagnosed him to have a virus and prescribed him some medicine. Ryan is still pretty stiff and achy.
Sarah is, at this moment, asleep in her bed in the middle of the afternoon. She has a migraine headache. They seem to come on really quickly, and she howls and screams. The only thing I can ever do to get her to calm down is to give her some Children's Ibuprofen, then I tell her to lie down and I talk quietly to her, gently rubbing her arm or her back or her face. I tell her to breathe in and out, and to focus on her breathing and listen to her breathing. When she gets her mind on something else, she always ends up falling asleep. I think she gets migraines when she hasn't had enough sleep the night before, like was the case last night.
Maura has had a virus also for a few days. She isn't eating too much. Yesterday she was like a wilting flower. No energy. No smiles. Not even moving around much. Finally, after dinner, she threw up all over her highchair tray. There wasn't much there, but I could tell that was the reason she wasn't eating all day. Then, after dinner, I went outside with all the kids. John had on rollerskates and picked Maura up, then promptly dropped her on her face onto the pavement. (All this happened while my back was turned while sweeping the driveway. Like 20 seconds, I swear!) Maura had a bloody mouth and I was concerned about a concussion. I spent the rest of the evening watching her and by bedtime I was fairly sure that there was no concern of a concussion. She was walking without losing balance, eyes focusing on me, no more throwing up. I was worried because I thought her lips were turning blue, until I realized that I had given her first a purple, then blue popsicle to help with the mouth bleeding. Boy would I have felt stupid if I had gone to the ER for that reason. "Doctor, I thought everything was okay until I saw her lips turning blue..." Maura's mouth bled a little bit more today but I gave her a popsicle again and it stopped. Now, she's still feeling under the weather from the virus but I think her fall isn't bothering her any more. At least I hope.
John is in his bedroom all day today. Grounded. This is the first real "grounding" we've done with him. I know him dropping Maura was an accident, but he's been having these type of accidents too much lately. He needs to understand how to be more careful, and to plan on being careful - not just say sorry after he's done something wrong.
RJ and I are both doing okay, but RJ is pretty bored today. His brother is stuck in his room all day, his sister is under the weather, and his dad is at work. It's wash day so I'm trying to get clothes washed and hung on the line and folded. Poor guy. I just told him to go see if the kid across the street can play. I hope he can.
So that's it for now. I just hope the kids don't go getting sick right when school starts (Aug 26).
No comments:
Post a Comment